- Venue: University of California Berkeley Clark Kerr Campus
- Date: July 28-30, 2024
Price: $800, scholarships available
- Apply Now
What is the Greater Good Educators Summer Workshop: Kindness?
For seven years, we ran a highly successful Summer Institute for Educators. But the field of well-being in schools has changed—and we’ve changed with it! To honor the profound wisdom of educators, we’ve created a new experience for them to share that wisdom with each other: The Greater Good Educators Summer Workshop.
Very simply, the Greater Good Educators Summer Workshop provides a space for educators from around the world to gather together in support of one another while they work to change the dominant narrative in education to one that values compassion, kindness, forgiveness, and cooperation. The Greater Good Science Center will provide the space, the science, and some kick-off ideas, but the real magic will take place in the deep conversations and creative process among participants.
This year, we’re focusing on kindness–because the world really needs it right now and because it’s the #1 topic asked for by our education audience. In future years, we’ll focus on other topics of well-being.
How it works
Prior to attending the workshop, participants will receive access to an online module that provides an overview of the science of kindness, why it matters for education, and ideas for applying it in classrooms and schools. The module will include videos, articles, reflection questions, and practices. Participants will be encouraged to try a practice prior to attending the Summer Workshop.
Then, at the Summer Workshop, participants will bring their insights, questions, and ideas, and work together to create research-based strategies for integrating the science of kindness into their classrooms and schools that are relevant and appropriate for each participant’s school context.
We’ll also have a ton of fun! Yoga, hiking, games, and more, all within a nurturing learning environment for deepening our understanding and practice of well-being for ourselves and our students.
Workshop Components and Learning Objectives
At the Summer Workshop, you will experience:
- Practical activities for fostering kindness in classrooms and schools
- Deep self-reflection, thought-provoking discussions, and collaborative strategy sessions to create new ways for applying the science of kindness in your classroom and school that are relevant and appropriate for your students and/or staff
- A strong and lasting support network of education professionals who are doing this work around the world
Workshop learning objectives:
- Learn about, reflect on, and discuss the science of kindness and its relevance to education.
- Examine different ways the practical application of the science of kindness can be integrated into various aspects of education, including school relationships, student and adult well-being, school and classroom climate, content, and pedagogy.
- In collaboration with other educators, create culturally and developmentally appropriate, research-based strategies for integrating the science of kindness into classrooms and schools.
Sunday, July 28th
3:00-5:00 p.m. Registration
5:30-8:00 p.m. Reception and opening circle (buffet dinner provided)
Monday, July 29th
7:00-9:00 a.m. Breakfast/Yoga (optional)/Hike (optional)
9:00-4:00 p.m. Workshop
Dinner on your own
Tuesday, July 30th
7:00-9:00 a.m. Contemplative Practice (optional)/Breakfast
9:00-12:00 p.m. Workshop
12:00 p.m. Lunch
1:00 p.m. Depart for Home
Download a flyer for the event.