Welcome to the Rebooted Greater Good!
November 5, 2012
The science of gratitude. Ways to practice mindfulness. Tips for raising happy kids.
These are some of the subjects that draw you to Greater Good. But we’ve heard from many of you that these and other subjects haven’t been as easy to find on our site as you’d like.
That’s why we decided to reboot Greater Good’s design, upgrading our homepage and navigation while adding some valuable new features. We believe these changes will make “the science of a meaningful life” feel even more accessible and practical to our large and growing community—and reduce the number of clicks it takes you to find what you’re looking for.
Here’s what you can find on the new Greater Good:
- A redesigned homepage, with more links higher up on the page, requiring less scrolling to find what you want.
- Our homepage feed of stories is now sortable, so in addition to viewing our Most Recent stories, you can view our Most Popular, Most Commented, and Most Shared stories as well.
- New regular features like a “Greater Good Tip of the Week” and “Book of the Week,” highlighting practical and easily digestible resources—look for them in the right-hand column.
- New navigation tabs, reflecting feedback from our readers about the areas on which they most look to Greater Good for guidance: Family & Couples, Education, Work & Career, Mind & Body, and Big Ideas. Click on these tabs to explore our articles, videos, quizzes, tips, and other content that falls within each area. Be sure to check out our “Greater Good Take” on each area, offering a window into our particular approach.
- Our Big Ideas tab is a special treat for Greater Good readers: A one-stop shop for the kinds of pieces that are often our most popular—the thoughtful, provocative, far-reaching articles that challenge conventional wisdom or introduce a novel way of understanding ourselves and our relationships.
- A secondary level of navigation consisting of our Core Themes—the topics that are most central to Greater Good’s conception of “the science of a meaningful life”: Gratitude, Altruism, Compassion, Empathy, Forgiveness, Happiness, and Mindfulness. Click on these Core Themes for all the material we’ve published on each topic.
- Special new overview pages that explain what these Core Themes mean, why they’re worth practicing, and how they can be cultivated.
- Updated resources pages that list the key books, studies, and organizations related to the Greater Good Science Center’s work. These are divided up according to our core themes, enhancing our website’s role as a hub and clearinghouse for essential resources on these themes.
These additions and enhancements required a huge team effort from our staff, dedicated research and editorial assistants, and our excellent web developers, Hop Studios. We’re very grateful to all of them, as well as to the outside experts who reviewed our Core Themes material—the definitions and resources we’ve published for topics like gratitude, compassion, mindfulness, happiness, and more.
Thank you for being a part of the (rebooted) Greater Good!