The GGSC Is Hiring an Operations and Events Coordinator
August 2, 2018
The Greater Good Science Center is looking for an Operations and Events Coordinator, which will support the GGSC’s financial and accounting systems, as well as the organization and management of its events, working under the supervision of the GGSC’s Director of Operations. This will include supporting the GGSC’s accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and budgeting systems, and will involve coordinating with speakers, vendors, and venues for GGSC events.
To apply, you’ll need to submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page. Once you’re on the Jobs page, search for the position by its Job ID: 25398. More details below.
The Greater Good Science Center (GGSC) at UC Berkeley turns science into action.
Founded by acclaimed social psychologist Dacher Keltner in 2001, the GGSC is unique in its commitment to both science and practice: Not only does it sponsor groundbreaking scientific research into social and emotional well-being, it also helps people apply this research to their personal and professional lives.
For more than a decade, the GGSC has been at the fore of a new scientific movement to explore the roots of happy and compassionate individuals, strong social bonds, and altruistic behavior. And it has been without peer in its award-winning efforts to translate and disseminate this science to the public, particularly through its popular online magazine, Greater Good.
About the Position
This full time position will support the GGSC’s financial and accounting systems, as well as the organization and management of its events, working under the supervision of the GGSC’s Director of Operations. This will include, but is not limited to, supporting the GGSC’s accounting, accounts receivable, accounts payable, and budgeting systems, and will involve coordinating with speakers, vendors, and venues for GGSC events.
This is a full-time (100% time) position.
- Independently administers the GGSC’s events program, which includes working with facilities, speakers, caterers, and other vendors
- Independently creates purchase orders and processes invoices and reimbursements through the UC Berkeley BearBuy system for a range of GGSC programs, and prepares checks for deposit according to university procedure.
- Supports the administration of the GGSC’s entire financial operations, working closely with the GGSC’s Director of Operations.
- Works closely with outside vendors and the university’s Campus Shared Services to make sure invoices are paid in a timely fashion.
Budgeting and accounting:
- Gathers and analyzes the GGSC’s financial data, which includes tracking GGSC income and expenses, working in coordination with the UC Berkeley system. Prepares reports based on that analysis of financial data.
- Independently develops, analyzes, and maintains program budgets and pivot tables in Excel. Prepares budgets for contract and grant proposals and reports.
- Assists with the GGSC budgeting process and reconciles actual expenses with the university’s financial reports and the GGSC’s budgeted amounts.
- Independently coordinates various events and meetings, including large public events and smaller multi-day residential programs/institutes, working in tandem with the rest of the GGSC events team.
- Also supports the preparation and logistics of various online events, including webinars, live webcasts, and online trainings.
- Independently identifies and works with event venues and other vendors (e.g. caterers, furniture and equipment rental); coordinates with event speakers (e.g., for travel arrangements and speaking honoraria).
- Manages on-site event preparations and execution.
- Processes all event-related payments (to speakers, vendors, etc.) after events end.
- Handles escalated customer service problems and vendor concerns around events.
- Independently assesses need for general office equipment and supplies, orders them as necessary.
- Responds to general emails and phone call queries directed at the GGSC.
- May supervise student assistant(s).
- Regularly attends and participates in GGSC staff meetings.
- Bachelors degree in related area and/or equivalent experience/training.
- Knowledge of a variety of financial and administrative operations such as accounting, record keeping, and accounts payable.
- Experience and comfort working with Excel spreadsheets and pivot tables.
- Experience and comfort creating forms and other documents using Adobe Acrobat.
- Experience planning, organizing, and managing events of various sizes, from private meetings to large public events.
- Ability to occasionally staff GGSC events on weekends (2-4x/year).
- Strong project management, problem solving, and customer service skills.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills to communicate effectively with vendors, partners, and GGSC colleagues, both verbally and in writing.
- Thorough knowledge of UC Berkeley processes, protocols, and regulations for procurement, reimbursements, and accounting.
- Knowledge of UC Berkeley-specific computer programs (e.g., for travel).
- Familiarity with—and affinity for—the Greater Good Science Center’s mission and programs.
Salary & Benefits
This position has a salary range of $26.34 - $31.13.
Salary will be commensurate with experience.
Learn more about the comprehensive benefits package offered by the University.
How to Apply
To apply, submit your application through UC Berkeley’s Jobs page, where you’ll need to search for this position by its Job ID: 25398.
Applications must be submitted through the UC Berkeley Jobs system in order to be considered.
Please submit your cover letter and resume as a single attachment when applying.
Conviction History Background
This is a designated position requiring fingerprinting and a background check due to the nature of the job responsibilities. Berkeley does hire people with conviction histories and reviews information received in the context of the job responsibilities. The University reserves the right to make employment contingent upon successful completion of the background check.
Equal Employment Opportunity
The University of California is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, or protected veteran status.