The GGSC is Hiring a Marketing Specialist!
July 25, 2023
The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley (GGSC) is currently looking for a Marketing Specialist to lead our CalHOPE initiative.
Start Date: October, 2023
Please send your resume, cover letter, and any portfolio links or samples with the subject line “CalHOPE Marketing Specialist” to firstname.lastname@example.org by August 10, 2023.
About the Greater Good Science Center
The Greater Good Science Center at UC Berkeley (GGSC) studies the psychology, sociology, and neuroscience of well-being and teaches skills that foster a thriving, resilient, and compassionate society. Over more than two decades, the GGSC has provided a bridge between scientists and the public, turning research findings into practical resources that support well-being for all. Since its founding, the Center has highlighted the importance of building social connection not only within communities but across groups, offering practical strategies for overcoming bias and prejudice, expanding one’s circle of care, and promoting diversity, inclusion, and belonging.
The GGSC’s organizational culture prioritizes independence, rigor, and the well-being of its members. Staff members enjoy autonomy and flexibility while working in a culture that encourages teamwork, connection, and collaboration. The GGSC welcomes a diversity of experiences and perspectives to inform its work and strives to operate internally by the values that drive its public-facing programs: empathy, compassion, joy, forgiveness, appreciation, and cooperation. Recognizing that the science we cover has been shaped by systemic biases and inequities, we aim to address and correct for these prejudices whenever possible—a goal on which we elaborate in our Diversity Statement.
About this Position
We are seeking a Marketing Specialist to join the education team in marketing CalHOPE, a state-funded project that provides social-emotional learning support to educators and school communities throughout the state of California. The ideal candidate will have marketing experience in the education sector and a deep familiarity with California schools and districts. You will work closely with members of the education team and California County Offices of Education to help create, manage, and execute marketing strategy in promoting events and resources.
Being based in California is preferred, and remote or hybrid-remote working arrangements are definitely possible.
- Build clear, consistent voice and marketing strategy for online communities of practice and any in-person events.
- Implement marketing strategy to promote virtual communities of practice (estimated 10) and an in-person community of practice.
- Create, develop, and disseminate multi-channel communications and marketing materials for a variety of different audiences (e.g. county offices; principals; classified staff; counselors) and events.
- Ensure our content, marketing strategies, and programs are inclusive and relevant to diverse audiences.
- Work with Education Marketing Specialist and to align, share, and synchronize CalHOPE branding and strategy with larger education programming at GGSC.
- Build and strengthen relationships with California school and district leadership.
- Introduce CalHOPE and GGSC education resources to California-based organizations and communities focused on education, and build partnership and collaboration when possible.
- Collaborate with Education Marketing Specialist on social media campaigns and hyperlocal targeting.
- Support and collaborate with Education Marketing Specialist on outreach, research, contact lists, planning, and new opportunities for partnerships, programs, and support for school communities.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent industry experience in marketing or related field.
- Extensive experience in marketing strategy and strategy implementation, specifically in creating, carrying out, and analyzing campaigns, and/or promoting virtual events.
- Experience in reaching new audiences and building engagement in a project or program.
- Ability to jump between strategy and implementation, and work both autonomously and collaboratively with a team of diverse stakeholders.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, particularly in building relationships and constructively sharing feedback and working with peers.
- Skills or experience developing initiatives that advance DEIB.
- Passionate about social-emotional learning.
- Experience using content management platforms and social media platforms—such as MailChimp, Instagram, Facebook, Pinterest, Twitter, Google Drive, or similar programs—to create content and build community.
- Experience working with district and school leadership to engage staff in professional development opportunities.
- Understand the ecosystem of California schools, districts, and California-based educational organizations.
- Experience building and managing specialized community pages and groups.
- Experience or interest in the science of social-emotional well-being, particularly from the fields of social-emotional learning; diversity, equity, and inclusion; character and/or prosocial education.
- Familiarity with—and affinity for—the Greater Good Science Center’s mission and programs.
This is an independent contractor position. Compensation is $150-200 per hour (depending on experience) with a maximum of 20 hours per week. We expect this position to start in October 2023 and last through December 2024.
How to Apply
To apply, please send your resume, cover letter, and any portfolio links or samples with the subject line “CalHOPE Marketing Specialist” to email@example.com by August 10, 2023.