Frequently Asked Questions by GGSC Members and Donors
Can’t find your question? Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- What’s my Member ID number?
- Why can’t I log in using my email address and Member ID number?
- I’m trying to renew my membership, but I don’t know my Member ID and the system isn’t recognizing my email.
- How can I find out my Member ID number to renew, log in, or register for an event?
- How do I check if my membership is about to expire?
- How do I use my Member ID to get discounts on events?
- What’s the difference between a donation and a membership?
- Is the GGSC funded by UC Berkeley?
- Where does the GGSC get its funding? Where does the money go?
- Is the GGSC a 501(c)(3)? Is it on Charity Navigator?
What’s my Member ID number?
This is your own unique code that’s used as your initial website password, and for event discounts. It’s the first letter of your membership level (e.g., H for $50 “Happy”) followed by five digits. Member IDs are now updated with each new annual membership renewal. So, your old member ID may no longer work even if you’re still an active member.
If you don’t have your Member ID handy, look for the confirmation email we sent at the time of your membership. Or contact us at email@example.com. We don’t currently have a way for you to look up your number.
Why can’t I login using my email address and Member ID number?
Several possible reasons:
- If your 12-month membership has expired, please renew. You should have received expiration notifications via email. The starting date of your membership can be found in your original confirmation email.
- Your Member ID is your initial password for our site. You may have changed it to a password of your own. In either case, you can request a password reset.
- Your email address (your “User Name”) may have changed since you first became a member. Try your old email address.
- If none of these seem to apply to you, there may be a problem with our site. We apologize. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I’m trying to renew my membership, but I don’t know my Member ID and the system isn’t recognizing my email.
Don’t worry about your Member ID. The system will only know your email if you joined online last time (as opposed to via mail or in person). In any case, you can always join as a New Member. We’ll know to link your accounts later. Every renewal now gets a fresh Member ID number.
How can I find out my Member ID number to renew, log in, or register for an event?
Your member ID should be in the initial thank-you email you received when you became a member. If you can’t find it there, please email email@example.com. You don’t need your Member ID to renew your membership—try your email address, or just join as a new member (see above).
How do I check if my membership is about to expire?
GGSC memberships are on an annual basis. You will receive several notifications via email before your membership expires. To see if your membership is about to expire, check the date on the initial thank you email you received when you became a member. If you can’t find the email, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We don’t currently have a way for you to look up your own membership info.
How do I use my Member ID to get discounts on events?
All membership levels are entitled to 20% off GGSC-produced day-long events and webcasts. At the event registration page, enter your member ID number—a letter followed by five digits (e.g., G99999)—and click “get pricing” to see discount options. The higher Delighted, Joyous, and Ecstatic member levels have additional benefits that are detailed in the confirmation email you received at the time of purchase. Questions: email@example.com.
What’s the difference between a donation and a membership?
They are somewhat synonymous at the GGSC, and both are 100% tax-deductible charitable gifts. Donations can be made in any amount. Memberships start at $50 and carry benefits that vary by member level. Donations of $50 or more automatically qualify for memberships, which we will process for you. Memberships expire after 12 months, and in either case, we greatly appreciate your annual support of our work.
Is the GGSC funded by UC Berkeley?
No. We are an independently funded non-profit organization based at the university. Our staff are university employees, but all our funding comes from individual donations and memberships, grants from private foundations, and earned income from our events and programs. We do receive administrative and research support from Berkeley, as well as the immeasurable benefit of being part of the world’s leading public research university.
Where does the GGSC get its funding? Where does the money go?
We currently have over 1,200 individual contributors and members, as well as several multi-year foundation grants. Our FY16 budget ending 6/30/16 was for expenses of $2.1 million. Of this, over 85% went entirely to program expenses, research, and salaries and benefits for our professional staff of 11. View our most recent Annual Report.
Is the GGSC a 501(c)(3)? Is it on Charity Navigator?
We are a fully tax-exempt non-profit operating under the 501(c)(3) status of the University of California, Berkeley, and the governance of the UC Regents. As part of UC Berkeley, our Center does not have its own separate 501(c)(3) determination or Employer Identification Number (EIN) from the IRS, and therefore we are not eligible for rating by Charity Navigator or other watchdog organizations. You can learn more about our financials and operations in our latest Annual Report. Our fundraising and administrative costs are less than 15 percent of our budget, which would qualify us for a top five-star rating from Charity Navigator.